Thursday, September 11, 2008

Sisters Against Ovarian Cancer

A note from a colleague:

Hi Paul,

I went to the most amazing event on Saturday, September 6, at the Stone Zoo. The Sisters Against Ovarian Cancer Walk is the brainchild of a few women who are rallying around their friend, Marie Spinale, who is battling Ovarian Cancer. I met Marie early in 2008. She had participated in the Avon Breast Cancer Walk the year before and wanted to do something similar for her hospital that would ultimately help the type of cancer she is battling. She is one of the bravest women I have met and has the most optimistic outlook on life, despite the fact that her cancer keeps coming back. Today, Monday, she actually started a new clinical trial which she is so excited about (please see her email to me below).

But on to the walk..they had 170 walkers - 150 pre-registered individuals and approximately 40 walk-ons (some registered walkers didn't show up). They raised $30,000 on walk day and more money still needs to be collected. Earlier this year, they held a fundraising event that raised about $14,000 through raffles and ticket sales - I hear it was a party not to be missed. The money they raise will support the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund at BIDMC under the direction of Stephen Cannistra, M.D.

This is a link the website they created!

---

Hi,

I am so happy you were able to be there on Saturday. We were all very excited and pleased with the turnout. I'm sorry I didn't get to spend time with you but I heard you met quite a few people. I never realized how many wonderful people I have in my life until I got sick. Something good comes out of everything.

I was at the hospital today, but I decided to come into work. I got selected to be on the new pills for the clinical trial so I am very happy about that. I didn't want to go home waiting for side effects to kick in so I thought I'd be better off staying busy. I think I'm going to do great!


We raised $30,000 on Saturday! That is not counting what we already turned in and what might trickle in later. I couldn't be happier!!! Thank you for all of your help.


Love,

Marie

(reprinted with her permission)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joseph Herr

Can confounders provide warning of the cause?

The confounding aspect of gastrointestinal disorders makes it difficult to recognize ovarian cancer at an early stage. However, if the same entity which causes the gastrointestinal ailments also causes ovarian cancer, the first symptoms imply that the process of developing ovarian cancer has begun.

I think that is what is happening.

More at:
http://www.sleepnet.com/apnea134/messages/217.html

Anonymous said...

What a story, and she sounds incredibly strong. Wishing you really good health, Marie, among your many, many friends.

Anonymous said...

I am one of the women in the picture with Marie - Marie's spirit and hope make us all proud to be her friend/sister. Marie said before this walk she wanted to have a total of $50,000 and she did it. We are along for the ride. Ours is not as bumpy as Marie's, but this is the least we can do for a wonderful woman and hope it helps with ovarian cancer.